Disputes involving oilfield companies often involve complex technical and human factor issues. Sometimes, regulations may also have been contravened but this might not be obvious to Legal Counsel examining the case. We can bring strong technical and regulatory expertise to bear on a case and provide an independent Report, suitable for use in litigation or ADR.
Expert witness work undertaken by Andrew Mackay or Steve Devereux includes the following;
- Ocean Odyssey well control incident (blow-out), expert work undertaken for the UK Department of Energy.
- A Tribunal appointed Expert in an arbitration between an Operator and a Drilling Rig Contractor involving operational problems with a subsea BOP.
- Ince & Co. Inability of drill-ship to maintain location within specification resulting in loss of well.
- Ince & Co. Well temporarily abandoned without consent of Operator. Breach of contract plus bad operational practices and well integrity issues. Well lost.
- Ince & Co. Catastrophic failure of a 2-well, high-pressure high-temperature, sub-sea production field producing back to a FPSO. Incorrect well design leading to loss of integrity sub-sea and at the FPSO. Wells completely lost.
- Ince & Co. Expert Advice given on a dispute between an Operator and a Drilling Rig Contractor involving a floating rig loss of position and consequent emergency disconnect from the well.
- HTD. Total failure of Christmas Tree / wellhead seals on 14 UKCS wells at initial production start-up meant total re-completion of all wells over a one year period. Loss of production plus incremental rig and personnel costs over a year were sought from manufacturer. Involved for 4 years.
- UK Nirex. Loss of borehole due to incompetent management and operational practices.
- Norton Rose Fulbright. An arbitration between an Operator and a Drilling Rig Contractor which involved loss of well control after cementing a casing.
- Curtis Davis Garrard. Expert advice given on a dispute between a Drilling Rig Contractor and a shipyard involving criteria for testing a new built jack-up rig.
- Other work, such as BP America (Macondo) and Eni India continues to be subject to confidentiality undertakings.